College of Rural Alaska
Tanana Valley Campus
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 63 credits
The process technology program prepares students for employment as operations technicians in the process industry, which includes oil and gas production, mining and milling, transportation and refining, chemical manufacturing, power generation, utilities, wastewater treatment facilities maintenance, and food processing.
This A.A.S. degree program incorporates technical and academic courses covering topics such as pumps and turbines, instrumentation, safety and quality control. Summer internships give students valuable practical experience and exposure to the true nature of process technology careers.
The Alaska Process Industry Careers Consortium (APICC)/First Alaskans Foundation has scholarships available for Alaska Native students pursuing a degree in process technology. Scholarships are also available from industry.
- Complete the following admissions requirements:
- Complete the ASSET/COMPASS placement at the DEVM 105-level or above.
- Complete the ASSET/COMPASS placement for reading at the DEVS 106-level or above.
- Students placing below the ASSET/COMPASS level requirements for math and reading must obtain the permission of a faculty advisor in the process technology program prior to registering for PRT courses.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the A.A.S. degree requirements (As part of the A.A.S. degree requirements, complete ENGL 111X; ENGL 211X, ENGL 212 or ENGL 213X; MATH 131X or MATH 107X; and a social sciences elective for three credits.)
- Complete CIOS 150, a computer business applications, or an approved computer application course.
- Complete the following program major requirements*:
PHYS 115XPhysical Science I (4)
and PHYS 116XPhysical Science II (4)
or PHYS 103XCollege Physics (4)
and CHEM 103XBasic General Chemistry (4) 8 credits
PRT 101Introduction to Process Technology 3 credits
PRT 110Introduction to Occupational Safety, Health, and Environmental Awareness 3 credits
PRT 130Process Technology I: Equipment 4 credits
PRT 140Industrial Process Instrumentation I 3 credits
PRT 144Industrial Process Instrumentation II 3 credits
PRT 230Process Technology II: Systems 4 credits
PRT 231Process Technology III: Operations 4 credits
PRT 250Process Technology Troubleshooting 3 credits
PRT 255Process Technology Quality 1 credits
Applied technology electives** 9 credits
- Minimum credits required: 63
* Student must earn a C grade or better in each course.
** Electives must be advisor-approved. Select from the following areas of concentration:
industrial process instrumentation, electronics, maintenance technology, mining
engineering and technology, petroleum engineering and technology, power generation,
environmental technology, and industry internship.