College of Science, Engineering and Mathematics
Department of Biology and Wildlife
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 18 thesis credits
Downloadable PDF (50K)
The biological sciences program provides a broad education as well as
a sound foundation in the basic principles of biology. Candidates who
expect to teach in public secondary schools must be sure that education
requirements are met.
Graduate ProgramPh.D. Degree
Concentrations: Biology, Botany, Wildlife Biology, Zoology
- Complete the admission process including the following:
- Submit scores from both the GRE General Test (required)
and the GRE Subject Test in Biology (required for applicants
holding only a bachelor’s degree; highly recommended
for applicants who have already earned a master’s degree).
- If English is not your native language, submit scores
from both the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and the Test of
Written English (TWE), as well as TOEFL scores. Requests, including
justification, for exceptions to this requirement should be
made to the Chair of the department.
- Complete the general
- Complete the Ph.D.
- As part of the Ph.D. degree requirement, complete the following:
- If entering with only a bachelor’s
degree, complete and pass the departmental
written and oral Ph.D. qualifying examination
(equivalent to Master’s Comprehensive
- Complete and pass a written and oral comprehensive
examination by the Graduate Advisory Committee.
- In this program or in previous post-baccalaureate
programs, complete course work at least equivalent to that
required for the M.S. degree.
- Minimum credits required 18