2004-2005 UAF Catalog  

Academics and Regulations

To encourage a positive learning environment and high academic standards, universities establish specific scholastic requirements and community rules. At UAF, academic regulations address issues such as grading, academic standing, and student rights and responsibilities. Since policies change form time to time, it’s important for students to stay informed about current requirements. By enrolling at UAF, a student agrees to abide by university rules, regulations and academic standards.

Academic Progress

Instructors are responsible for ensuring that students are aware of the grading policy for their course and that homework, exams and other assignments are returned in a timely manner. Freshman progress reports are optional for each UAF campus. On the Fairbanks campus, they are typically provided for all freshmen.

Academic Standards

UAF’s scholastic standards are designed to help students take action before their academic record deteriorates to the point that readmission to UAF or another institution is difficult. In all cases involving poor scholarship, students are encouraged to consult with their advisor, instructor or dean.

Undergraduate or certificate students and non-degree students enrolled in 12 or more credits are subject to scholastic action if they fail to earn a GPA of 2.0 at the end of the semester. Scholastic action may result in probation or disqualification from the university.

Good Standing

Undergraduate students — You are in good standing if your cumulative GPA and most recent semester GPA are 2.0 or better.

Graduate students —To maintain good academic standing in UAF graduate programs, students must:

  1. Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in courses taken since admission to graduate school. Before advancing to candidacy, however, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required based on all courses identified on your advancement to candidacy. The student must earn at least a B grade in 400-level courses.
  2. Be registered at UAF with a minimum of 6 credits per year unless on approved leave of absence.
  3. Not violate any part of the Student Code of Conduct.
  4. Have a current graduate study plan or an advancement to candidacy submitted and approved, unless the student is within the first year of graduate study.
  5. Have in the student’s file by May 15 of each year an annual report from the graduate advisory committee, certifying satisfactory progress. This is the responsibility of the student. Students starting in January need not submit an annual report until April of the next academic year. If a satisfactory annual report is not filed as specified, the student may be placed on probation.
  6. Pass any required qualifying exams or comprehensive exams. Departments may set the number of times an exam may be repeated.

Academic Honors

Undergraduate and certificate students only. To be eligible for academic honors at the end of a semester, you must be a full-time undergraduate degree or certificate student who has completed at least 12 UA institutional credits graded with the letter grades A, B, C, D or F. If you have received an incomplete or deferred grade, your academic honors cannot be determined until those grades have been changed to permanent grades. Academic honors are recorded on your permanent record. You will make the chancellor’s list with a semester GPA of 4.0. and the dean’s list with a GPA of 3.5 or higher.


Undergraduate students — Students whose cumulative and/or semester grade point average falls below 2.0 will be put on academic probation. Probation may include conditions and/or credit limitations for the student’s next enrollment at UAF, as determined by the dean of the college or school in which the student’s major is located. Probation students may be referred for developmental advising/education and/or to a counseling center. Removal from probation requires the student’s cumulative and semester GPAs to be at least 2.0. Students on probation should not enroll in more than 12 credits a semester.

Graduate students — Probationary status indicates that the student is not in good standing. When a student is placed on probation, the dean of the school or program and the advisory committee will notify the student of requirements to be met before the student may be returned to good standing. If a student does not return to good standing by the end of two semesters, the student may be dismissed from the degree program.

Academic Disqualification

Undergraduate students only — Undergraduate probation students whose semester and cumulative GPAs are less than 2.0 at the end of spring semester may be disqualified from degree-seeking status. Disqualified students may continue their enrollment at UAF only as non-degree students and are limited to a maximum of 9 credits per semester. To be eligible for reinstatement in an academic degree program, the student will normally be expected to earn at least a C grade in all courses taken as a non-degree student. To be restored to degree-seeking status, the student must apply for readmission.

Academic Dismissal

Graduate students only — If recommended by the department chair, the graduate advisory committee and the dean of the college or school, and approved by the dean of the Graduate School, a student will be dismissed because of unsatisfactory performance. Unsatisfactory performance is deemed as one or more of the following:

  1. Exceeding maximum time limit for degree.
  2. Not being registered at UAF for a minimum of 6 credits per year unless on approved leave of absence.
  3. Having less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA on courses taken since admission to graduate school.
  4. Being on probationary status for more than two consecutive semesters.
  5. Violating the Student Code of Conduct.
  6. Lacking progress as judged by the advisory committee and documented on the student’s annual report.
  7. Having substantive inaccuracies in the student’s application for admission.

If the student does not have a graduate advisory committee, dismissal can occur upon the recommendation of the department chair and the dean of the college or school, with approval by the dean of the Graduate School.

Appeal of Academic Decisions

Students wanting to appeal an academic decision (e.g., final grade, denial of admissions, faculty-initiated withdrawals, dismissal) should begin an appeal immediately after the beginning of the next regular semester. To appeal academic decisions, you should first address the person who made the decision. Often problems can be resolved and misunderstandings cleared up through this step.

If the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you should use the formal appeal procedure. Formal appeals must be made in writing. The university registrar, dean of enrollment management, dean of student affairs or dean of the graduate school (for graduate student issues) can give you advice and answers to questions about the process. In your written statement, you should explain what you wish to appeal, why you are appealing and how you have attempted to resolve the issue. If possible, propose solutions and compromises.


You are expected to attend classes regularly; unexcused absences may result in a failing grade. You are responsible for conferring with your instructor concerning absences and the possibility of arranging to make up missed work.

If you are required to participate in either (a) military or (b) UAF-sponsored activities that will cause you to miss class, you must notify your instructor as soon as possible of your absence. You must notify your instructor(s) of all scheduled UAF-required absences for the semester (e.g., travel to athletic events) during the first week of classes.

You and your instructor will make a good faith effort to make suitable arrangements to assure that you can make up classes and work you miss and are not penalized for your excused absence. If suitable arrangements cannot be made, you will be allowed to withdraw from the course without penalty. However, your instructor is under no obligation to allow you to make up missed work for unexcused absences or if notification and arrangements are not made in advance of the absence.

Temporary Leave of Absence

Graduate students only — If you wish to temporarily suspend studies while earning a graduate degree, you must obtain an approved leave of absence. If you fail to register for at least 6 credits in a school year (fall, spring or summer semester) or to obtain a leave of absence, you will be dropped from graduate study and will have to be reinstated before resuming graduate studies. Contact the Graduate School for information at (907) 474-7464.

Grade Error Policy

A grade, other than an incomplete or deferred, submitted by your instructor after a course is completed is assumed to be your final grade and becomes part of your permanent academic record. Your grade will not be changed unless your instructor made a legitimate error in calculating the grade; a grade change must be approved by the instructor’s department head and dean. Grading errors must be corrected within 30 class days after the beginning of the next regular semester.

Catalog Index | Class Schedule | Admissions

The University of Alaska Fairbanks is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual. Learn more about UA's notice of nondiscrimination.
Photos by UAF photographers unless otherwise noted.

Send comments or questions to the UAF Admissions Office .
Last modified July 24, 2017 by University Relations Web Developer.