2002-2003 UAF Catalog
Applying for Admission
Transfer of Credit
Credit accepted for transfer to UAF that has been earned at other regionally accredited institutions, through military educational experiences or credit accepted by special approval is considered transfer credit. Where possible, transfer credit is equated with UAF courses. The following regulations apply to transfer of credit:
1. You are eligible for transfer of credit if you are a degree or certificate candidate.
2. The applicability of transfer credit to your major and/or minor requirements must be approved by your major and/or minor department. As a transfer student, you must fulfill the UAF graduation and residency requirements, including those required for a particular program.
3. Undergraduate credits earned at the 100 level or above with a C- grade or higher at institutions accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies will be considered for transfer. Transfer credit normally isn't granted for courses with doctrinal religious content or for graduate courses (for undergraduate programs).
4. Any student who has completed a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution will be considered to have completed the equivalent of the baccalaureate core when officially accepted to a baccalaureate degree program at UAF.
5. Transfer credit is not included in computing your UAF grade point average.
6. Your class standing is based on the number of credits UAF accepts of your previous college work.
7. Credits may be awarded for formal service schooling and military occupational specialties (MOS) based on recommendations in the "Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services," published by the American Council on Education. A total of 49 credits from these sources can be applied toward your associate or bachelor's degree. Credit completed through the Community College of the Air Force or Department of Defense courses is included in the category of military experience.
8. You will be awarded credit for those government and professional certifications that have been reviewed and approved for designated course equivalencies at UAF. A list of these programs is available in the Office of Admissions.
9. Credit may also be awarded for satisfactory completion of training programs, based on recommendations of the American Council on Education and the National Program on non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction. The award of credit is subject to review and approval of appropriate UAF faculty.
Transfer within UA System
In order to serve students who transfer among the three institutions that make up the University of Alaska system, UAF, UAA and UAS have identified fully transferable general education requirements for their baccalaureate degrees. These include:
Credit for coursework successfully completed at one UA institution toward fulfillment of the general education requirements at that institution shall transfer toward fulfillment of the same categories at all other University of Alaska institutions. This applies even if there is no directly matching coursework at the institution to which the student transfers.
If you are a transfer student from either UAA or UAS who has completed fully all general education requirements prior to transfer to UAF, you will be considered to have completed all requirements of the UAF baccalaureate core. If you are a transfer student who has not completed all general education requirements, courses taken to complete those requirements at UAA or UAS will meet UAF baccalaureate core requirements according to the current table of substitutions for intra-UA transfers. (You may obtain a copy of the current table from the Admissions offices at UAF, UAA or UAS.) When you apply, you should notify the Office of Admissions that you have completed the general education requirements at UAA or UAS.
Completion of the 35-credit lower division requirements (100- and 200-level courses) of the UAF baccalaureate core will meet the general education requirements at the University of Alaska Anchorage and the University of Alaska Southeast.
For information on the web www.uaf.edu/admrec/admissions/docs/transfer/.