2002-2003 UAF Catalog
Tuition and Fees
Housing and Meals
If you move off campus or withdraw from the university, room refunds will be given according to the following schedule:
Any refund of board charges will be calculated based upon the days remaining in the semester. A service charge of $75 will be subtracted from each refund of board changes, regardless of the date of withdrawal from the board plan. No refunds will be available after the 12th week of the semester.
Tuition and Fees
If you are withdrawing from courses or canceling enrollment, you must complete an official withdrawal form and turn it in at the Office of the Registrar. Full or partial refund of undergraduate, graduate, and the non-resident tuition and fees will be made under the following circumstances:
1. If the courses you registered for are canceled by UAF, your tuition and fees will be refunded in full.
2. If you formally withdraw from a course, a refund will be made according to the following schedule as determined by the date of the formal withdrawal action.
Courses meeting four weeks or more but less than a semester:
1. 100 percent refund of tuition and fees -- drop within the first calendar week (Monday to Friday) of the first day of the class.
2. 50 percent refund of tuition -- drop within the second calendar week (Monday to Friday) of the first day of the class.
3. No refund or exchange of tuition after the end of the second calendar week (Monday to Friday) of the first day of the class.
Courses meeting less than four weeks
1. 100 percent refund of tuition and fees -- drop prior to the first day of class as indicated in the course schedule.
2. No refund or exchange of tuition after the first day of the class as indicated in the course schedule.
1. The date the drop/withdraw is processed by the Office of the Registrar determines eligibility for a refund. The credit amount on a student schedule bill/receipt given by the Office of the Registrar at the time of the drop may not be correct, changes may occur during the audit process.
2. Evening/weekend class(es) four weeks or longer -- drop must be processed the next working day for the refund to apply.
3. If your registration is canceled as a result of disciplinary action, you forfeit all rights to a refund of any portion of your tuition and fees.
4. If your registration is canceled by a faculty-initiated drop/withdraw, your refund will be based on the date of the drop/withdraw and the policy described in A, B or C above.
5. If you paid fees by personal check, any refund to which you may be entitled will be processed 30 days after your check has been deposited. Proof that your check has cleared your bank will suspend the 30-day wait.
6. If you have a debt with the university, any credits resulting from your drop/withdraw will be applied to that debt.
7. Students who receive any type of external funding, including financial aid, may have their refunds applied to the external funding source. In the case of financial aid, the refund will be applied according to federal regulations.
8. Vocational/technical course fees are subject to this refund schedule.
9. Summer Sessions refund policy is separate and is found in the Summer Sessions catalog.
10. In case the operations of UAF are adversely affected by war, riot, natural act, action of civil authority, strike or other emergency or condition, the university reserves the right to take action to curtail part or all of its operations, including action to cancel classes and action to discontinue services. In any case in which a significant curtailment is judged proper by UAF, the university's liability is limited to (at most) a refund of tuition and fees paid.
Tuition Refund Petitions
Petitions for refund of tuition may be granted when a student has been physically disabled, has experienced a death in the family, has a change in employment beyond the student's control, or has other extenuating circumstances. Written documentation of the condition is required (appeal forms may be obtained from the Business Office, Health Center, Financial Aid office, the Registrar's Office and the Dean of Students office). Petitions are reviewed only if documentation of circumstances is provided. Petitions are reviewed only after a student has officially withdrawn from the course(s). Refund petitions for students who fail to comply with published deadlines, or changes in employment within the student's control, will not be considered. Petitions must be filed by the last day of instruction of the term for which the petition is filed.
Completed petitions may be submitted to the Business Office, 1st floor Signers' Hall.