Degrees: B.S., M.S., E.M.
Minimum Requirements for Degrees: B.S.: 132 credits; M.S.: 31-37; E.M.: thesis and 5 years of experience
The mining engineering program emphasizes engineering as it applies to the exploration and development of mineral resources and upon the economics of the business of mining. The program offers specialization in exploration, mining or mineral beneficiation.
Students are prepared for job opportunities with mining and construction companies, consulting and research firms, equipment manufacturers, investment and commodity firms in the private sector, as well as with state and federal agencies.
Mining engineers may aspire to, and achieve, the highest positions in the industry: operating or engineering management, government agency director or entrepreneur. Starting salaries are among the highest in the engineering profession.
Students may initiate their mining engineering program in Anchorage and transfer to Fairbanks upon completion of their freshman or sophomore year. Anchorage students intending to transfer to Fairbanks should be in communication with UAF faculty of the mining engineering department.
Candidates for the B.S. degree in mining engineering must take a comprehensive examination in their general field (completion of the State of Alaska Fundamentals of Engineering examination will satisfy this requirement). The State of Alaska Fundamentals of Engineering is a first step toward registration as professional engineers.
The graduate program leads to the M.S. degree in mining engineering.
Mining Engineering -- B.S. Degree
1. Complete the general university requirements. (As part of the core curriculum requirements, complete: CHEM 105X, CHEM 106X, LS 101X and MATH 200X.)
2. Complete the B.S. degree requirements. (As part of the B.S. degree requirements, complete: MATH 201X, PHYS 211X and PHYS 212X.)
3. Complete the following program (major) requirements:*
4. Complete the following program (major) requirements:
5. Complete 6 credits* from the following recommended technical electives:**
6. Minimum credits required (132 credits)
* Student must earn a C grade or better in each course.
** Students must plan their elective courses in consultation with their mining engineering faculty advisor. Technical electives are selected from the list of the approved technical electives for mining engineering program and other programs course listing. All elective courses must be approved by the department head.
Mining Engineering -- M.S. Degree
1. Complete the general university requirements.
2. Complete the master's degree requirements.
3. Complete the following:
4. Complete the thesis or non-thesis requirements:
a. Complete the following:
b. Minimum credits required (31 credits)
a. Complete the following:
b. Minimum credits required (37 credits)
See Engineer of Mines.
Send comments or questions to the UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified March 10, 2000