Career Development Checklist
Get to Know Us in Career Services
- Visit the Career Services office and the website.
- Create a profile and explore the on-line service provided by your Career Services Dept.
- Work with a career counselor to identify your interests and values.
- Attend Job Fairs and other career events to meet employers and explore careers.
Explore, Reflect, Consider
- Explore internship and volunteer opportunities with the assistance of Career Services.
- Reflect upon your interests identified so far. Find opportunities to pursue them.
- Develop Leadership experience in clubs or organizations. Participate in committee work.
Live and Test Out Ideas and Decisions
- Continue Career Counseling.
- Explore and apply for internships in the fall for the summer after your junior year.
- Conduct Informational interviews.
- Assume a leadership or support role in a club, organization or Residence Life.
Prepare to Transition
- Develop a job search strategy with a career counselor.
- Refine resume and cover letter writing skills.
- Update your profile on the Career Services website UAFCareerConnect to receive job alerts and apply for jobs.
- Identify and register on job search websites.
- Attend career fairs and recruitment events.
Job-Search Checklist for UAF Students
The job search can feel overwhelming, so it is helpful to break it into manageable steps. The good news is you don't have to do every step in order, For example, you can start working on your resume before you identify what you want to do. Just start checking off as many of these activities as you can and you'll find yourself on the way to a great opportunity.
You can receive assistance for every one of these steps through UAF Career Services. And you don't have to do it all during business hours.
Adapted with permission from Liberal Arts Career Services / UT Austin.