"Each year colleges and universities across the country recognize the importance of the student work experience during National Student Employment Week. Student employment offers student career-enhancing opportunities, the ability to develop skills relevant in any career, and better preparation for the job market upon graduation."
National Student Employment Association
This week is a wonderful opportunity for UAF's departments to show their student workers just how much they appreciate all they do. We encourage all departments to participate in recognizing their student employees for their contributions.
Just a friendly reminder that state funds (fund one monies) are not to be used for celebrating our appreciation for our student employees. Please use discretionary funds or take up a collection from your office. Thanks!
Ways to celebrate and participate in National Student Employment Week
- Place an ad in the SUN STAR to express your appreciation to your student employees.
- Hang up student appreciation posters and decorate around your office thanking your student employees.
- Throw a pizza party, potluck, or sub-sandwich party.
- Serve cake, cookies, brownies, muffins.
- Treat your student employees to lunch.
- Surprise your student workers with balloons, flowers, or other forms of decoration at their work area.
- Give your student employees a movie pass or two so they can bring a friend.
- Give your student employees a gift card to the UAF Bookstore, a local restaurant (students are always hungry), iTunes (music is always a favorite), or a store (Barnes & Noble).
- Give each student employee an award. You can hold an awards ceremony where each student is presented with a "Best" category, e.g. "Best Customer Service Employee."
- Write personal thank-you notes or give certificates of appreciation.
- Send a note home to the family of each student employee, letting loved ones know what the student does and how helpful the student is to your department.
- Take a cutting from an office plant. Sign a card that says "Your roots are here"
- Trace a hand; create a card to say "Student worker (name of student) deserves a pat on the back"
- Put goodie bags together for each student worker.
- Send them a card or eCard, thanking them for their contribution.