Click on image for PDF copy
Sept 10 & 11, 2014
11am – 2pm
Wood Center Mall and Lounge
The purpose of the UAF Student Job & Research Fair is to increase the awareness of undergraduate research, scholarly activities, and student jobs at UAF; to provide opportunities for networking between undergraduate and graduate students and UAF representatives (faculty, staff, researchers) related to the students' field of study or areas of interest.
Poster Presentations by UAF graduate students and postdoctoral researchers.
Undergraduate students can ask these junior researchers questions about their research, how they started in their field, and if they are recruiting undergraduate assistants to work in paid positions or through one of UAF’s many undergraduate research courses.
Interested graduate students and postdoctoral researchers can register to present their poster, by contacting the URSA Office. Space is limited so register early!
WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE UAF STUDENT JOB & RESEARCH FAIR
Representatives from departments, institutes, research units, and offices will be available to...
- talk to students about current or future job opportunities and their ideas for current/future projects and research
- discuss current/future research and creative projects going on and how students can potentially be involved
- provide resources for students about who they might be able to network with either at UAF or around the world in a specific field (including professional organizations and researchers)
STUDENTS WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO...
- explore possible major/minors at UAF
- learn about degree requirements and the "What if" option in DegreeWorks
- brainstorm with representatives and other students about research and creative projects
Register now for URSA Seminars and courses. To view a pdf of available seminars and courses click here
EVENT BENEFITS FOR STUDENTS
- Increased awareness of resume building opportunities: campus jobs, undergraduate research, and student organizations
- Learn about gaining lower or upper division credit for research seminars and projects
- Lean about possible funding sources for undergraduate/graduate research and projects
- Ability to practice "elevator speech" (a short summary statement of your educational and career goals, given during a job fair, interview, or in an elevator with a potential employer) for fall employer job fairs
- Graduate student opportunity to mentor undergraduates and provide background of their experience
- Find potential references/mentors to assist in the career planning process
QUESTIONS STUDENTS CAN PONDER BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER EVENT...
- What can I do with my major while I'm a student and when I graduate?
- What types of experiences are available for me at UAF within my major or areas of interest?
- What have other students done at UAF and after graduation? How can I network with them?
- Am I happy in my degree program/major? If not, what are other options?
- What is my career path?
- What ideas do I have for possible research, projects, or ways to demonstrate my skills?
- What experiences do I have that demonstrate my leadership and communication skills?
For a list of sample questions to bring to the fair, click here.
EVENT BENEFITS FOR REPRESENTATIVES
- Increased awareness of undergraduate research
- Access to many potential, passionate student employees and researchers
- Possible collaboration or multi-discipline projects
EVENT BENEFITS FOR STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Opportunity to recruit members
- Opportunity to check out undergraduate/graduate research opportunities/scholarly activities happening inside and outside major field of study
- Opportunity to provide valuable information/resources to fellow students/staff/faculty
- Opportunity to collaborate on multi-discipline projects