712 Kuskokwim Way
In 1935, Froelich G. Rainey became the first professor of anthropology at the University of Alaska. In 1936, he and his wife commissioned a three-room log cabin to be built on the ridge overlooking the school. When the Raineys left Alaska in 1942, the university bought the cabin to use as faculty housing. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and a major renovation in 1982 included roof replacement, insulation and installation of an alarm system, among other things.
Ivar Skarland, a former student of Rainey’s who later became the head of the anthropology department, moved in during the late 1940s and for many years the cabin became the special preserve of the department.
When Skarland died suddenly in 1965, university students requested the cabin, ski trails and a residence hall be named in his memory. Today a permanent or visiting anthropology faculty member or student lives in the cabin.