Cooperative Extension Service
1751 Tanana Loop
The building at 308 Tanana Loop, known as the Forestry Building, was built in 1962 as a U.S. Forest Service Research Laboratory. It housed the federal Institute of Northern Forestry from 1962 until 1997. In 1997, the federal government closed the institute and gave the building to the university.
The building reopened in 1998 with offices and administration for the Alaska Cooperative Extension Service. The building also houses a test kitchen that is certified by the state Department of Environmental Conservation and used to develop Alaska food products. CES is an outreach educational delivery system supported in partnership between the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the University of Alaska Fairbanks. CES delivers university research to Alaskans through four program areas: agriculture and horticulture; health, home and family development; natural resources and community development; and 4-H and youth development.