- To write Bills, Directives, and Memorandums involving the University.
- To approve one budget per semester.
- To discuss the best options from its' students, to the university, to state legislators.
- Student affairs
- University relations
- Public relations
- Internal affairs.
Some common issues the senate deals with are:
- Authorizing funding for clubs through the club council ad-hoc committee.
- Providing funding for individuals and clubs traveling to competitions or conferences.
- Approving the ASUAF budget in the spring of every year.
- Working to advocate for students.
The ASUAF Senate also makes appointments to various university bodies, including one appointment to the Publications Board and one appointment to the Concert Board. The senate allocates funds through legislation, which is typically reviewed by a committee prior to implementation.