The Bachelor of Fine Arts is an undergraduate studio art degree. The BFA degree is professionally oriented and designed to prepare students for careers in art. This degree is also the usual prerequisite for graduate studies in the studio arts. The degree culminates in a solo exhibition or public presentation.
Admission to the BFA program requires a portfolio review by the art faculty. This review is generally done in the junior year. Enrollment in the BFA program is recommended only for those students willing to make the considerable commitment of time and energy necessary to strive for professional competence in their major areas. Career opportunities for the BFA degree include artist, designer, arts administrator, art teacher, gallery and museum administrator, and related fields.
Applications are due to the Admissions office on April 15 for the fall semester and on November 15 for the spring semester. If the deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then the deadline is the following Monday.
BFA Requirements and Courses (UAF Main Catalog)
BFA Student Handbook 2014 (PDF file)
B.F.A. Admission Procedures and Requirements
Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
1. Students may apply to the B.F.A. program during the last semester of their sophomore year. Students should not apply earlier than the semester in which they complete the 200 level Art Department requirements.
2. Admission to the program requires that students successfully complete 60 credits, all lower division art core courses plus general university credit requirements. Students must have a 3.00 GPA in general art credits.
3. Students must be “In Good Standing” with the University. Undergraduates must maintain an overall and most recent semester GPA of 2.50 or better.
B. Students must be accepted into the B.F.A. program a minimum of one semester prior to the “Thesis Proposal,” or two semesters prior to the thesis exhibition.
C. Applicants must submit the following materials to the Art Department for review:
1. An application for admission to the B.F.A. degree program (the Application form is on the page 5 of the BFA Handbook (pdf)).
2. A typed letter of intent stating your objectives and qualifications. The letter should show your awareness of the difference between the B.A. degree and the B.F.A. degree programs in Art.
3. College transcripts (unofficial transcripts are fine).
4. A portfolio of a minimum of 10 slides of 10 pieces of artwork. The submission can be in any medium, but it must include pieces in your area of interest and or study.
5. A list of art classes taken and grades received to assist in our calculation of general art credit GPA.
6. 3 letters of recommendation or names of UAF Art Department faculty who will give a verbal recommendation.
(Please note: Students are responsible for picking up BFA application support materials within one week of notification.)