Hopkins Fellowship: Announcement for 2018
The David and Rachel Hopkins Fellowship is designed to support University of Alaska graduate students conducting interdisciplinary research focusing on the Quaternary of Beringia or North Pacific Rim.
Fellowships of up to $1500 each will be awarded for use until December 31, 2018. Funds may be used to cover tuition, supplies, equipment, or other research-related fees, excluding salary.
The fellowship is open to graduate students only. Preference will be given to students who have not received the Hopkins Fellowship before. Students may receive the award a maximum of twice during their graduate career at the University of Alaska.
To be eligible for the fellowship, the student must:
- Graduate student and in good academic standing.
- Conduct interdisciplinary Quaternary research over historic or geologic time scales.
- Work on a project located in or relevant to Beringia or the North Pacific Rim.
- Modern process studies are acceptable, so long as the relevance to paleo research questions is clear and explicit. Contact the AQC director for more information.
- Deliver a completed application packet as a pdf file (see email address below) to the AQC by 5 pm Tuesday, December 12, 2017.
To apply, submit the following to the AQC:
- Completed application form (download application from here or contact Nancy Bigelow <firstname.lastname@example.org> for a copy).
- A description of the research project (maximum of 2 pages).
- A statement of permitting status.
- An itemized budget and a budget justification.
- Current C.V. (1 page limit) including name, contact information, education, teaching and other relevant experience, awards and honors, relevant presentations and publications.
- An e-mail recommendation letter from a faculty supervisor or committee member (also due by the deadline - send to email@example.com).
Submit a pdf of the completed application packet to the AQC (the e-mail letter of recommendation can be sent separately). The file can be e-mailed to Nancy Bigelow (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We strongly recommend that you contact either the AQC director or other board members (Contact Info) if you are unsure whether your application is appropriate for the Hopkins Fellowship.