Lower Tanana Pilot Project
In January 2011 we initiated a pilot project to consolidate indigenous place names for the Lower Tanana language in the region surrounding Minto Flats (Menhti).
The results of the Lower Tanana Pilot Project include:
- a 100-page listing of names
- 3 full-color wall maps (36" x 48", 36" x 60")
- ArcGIS geodatabase
These materials can be downloaded from the Alaska Native Language Archive as item TN981K2012.
Previous Lower Tanana place name maps and reports
- Andrew, Elizabeth, Chad Thompson, and Peter John. 1980. Native Names of Minto Flats and Vicinity, Central Alaska. Fairbanks: Tanana Chiefs Conference and Minto Village Council.
- Thompson, Chad. ca. 1977. [Draft place name maps of Minto region]. Fairbanks: ANLA. (USGS quadrangles with marked codes for names. No key.)
- Kari, James. n.d. Middle Tanana place name map. Ms.
- Kari, James. Lower Tanana Listening and Writing Exercises. Fairbanks: ANLC. [Online: Item TNMN981K1991c]
- Kari, James. 1985. Athabaskan Place Names in the Fairbanks Area. New River Times, Vol. V, No. 1, pp. 2-3. [Online: Item TN981K1984b]
- Kari, James. 1999. Draft Final Report: Native Place Names Mapping in Denali National Park and Preserve. [Online: Item TI972K1999]
- Gudgel-Holmes, Dianne. 1991. Native Place Names of the Kantishna Drainage, Alaska. Anchorage, Alaska: U. S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Alaska Region. [Online: Item KO982G1991]
- Luke, Howard. 1984. Fairbanks Area Placenames. Ms., Alaska Native Language Center.