Lower Tanana Pilot Project
In January 2011 we initiated a pilot project to consolidate indigenous place names for the Lower Tanana language in the region surrounding Minto Flats (Menhti).
Funding for this project was provided by National Science Foundation Alaska EPSCoR grant 335863, PI Gary Holton.
The results of the Lower Tanana Pilot Project include:
- a 100-page listing of names
- 3 full-color wall maps (36" x 48", 36" x 60")
- ArcGIS geodatabase
These materials can be downloaded from the Alaska Native Language Archive as item TN981K2012.
Previous Lower Tanana place name maps and reports
- Andrew, Elizabeth, Chad Thompson, and Peter John. 1980. Native Names of Minto Flats and Vicinity, Central Alaska. Fairbanks: Tanana Chiefs Conference and Minto Village Council.
- Thompson, Chad. ca. 1977. [Draft place name maps of Minto region]. Fairbanks: ANLA. (USGS quadrangles with marked codes for names. No key.)
- Kari, James. n.d. Middle Tanana place name map. Ms.
- Kari, James. Lower Tanana Listening and Writing Exercises. Fairbanks: ANLC. [Online: Item TNMN981K1991c]
- Kari, James. 1985. Athabaskan Place Names in the Fairbanks Area. New River Times, Vol. V, No. 1, pp. 2-3. [Online: Item TN981K1984b]
- Kari, James. 1999. Draft Final Report: Native Place Names Mapping in Denali National Park and Preserve. [Online: Item TI972K1999]
- Gudgel-Holmes, Dianne. 1991. Native Place Names of the Kantishna Drainage, Alaska. Anchorage, Alaska: U. S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Alaska Region. [Online: Item KO982G1991]
- Luke, Howard. 1984. Fairbanks Area Placenames. Ms., Alaska Native Language Center.