Academic Regulations

How many credits do I have to take to be considered a full-time student?
For undergraduates, full-time is considered 12 credits per semester for purposes of financial aid, housing and insurance. For graduate students, full-time is 9 credits per semester.


What happens if I repeat a course?
The most recent time that you take a class is the grade that is counted in to your GPA. If you repeat a course, the old grade is no longer considered in your GPA, but the course and grade will still be on your transcript.


What happens if I receive a 'D' in a course?
For a core course, a 'D' can be used to fulfill the requirement (there are exceptions, see your degree worksheet (PDF 18K) for specifics). For courses in your major, you must have a 'C' or better. For math courses, you must have a 'C' or better if you plan to continue on to the next level. If you plan to transfer to another school, courses with grades lower than 'C' typically are not accepted at other institutions. Remember, only the most recent course grade is consided in your GPA at UAF.


Should I complete a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree? What are the differences?
This will depend on the major you are interested in, as not every major offers the option to choose (for example, you can only complete a BA in History). For majors that offer the option to complete a BA or a BS (such as Psychology, Math or Chemistry), the primary differences are in the general requirements. A BA requires a minor and 18 credits of humanities and social sciences (see the core worksheet (PDF 29K) , page 2). It is meant to be a broad degree that exposes you to a variety of subject areas. A BS degree requires more math (including completion of Calculus) and at least two more science courses with lab beyond the core. Which degree you pursue will depend on what you plan to do with the degree once you graduate (teaching, research, graduate school, etc.). Talk to advisors in your department for insight as to which is best for you.


Do I have to complete a minor?
Anyone planning to complete a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree is required to complete a minor (see the core worksheet (PDF 29K) or your specific degree worksheet for details). Those completing other degrees, such as a Bachelor of Science (BS), Technology (BT), Music (BM) or Business Administration (BBA) have the option to complete a minor but are not required to.


When am I considered a Sophomore/Junior/Senior?
Class standing is not based on how many years you have been attending, but is based on number of credits you have COMPLETED. You are a freshman if you have completed less than 30 credits, a sophomore if you have 30-59 credits, a junior if you have 60-89 credits, and a senior if you have over 90 credits.


Do I have to take a foreign language?
No, you are not required to take a foreign language as part of your core requirements. You do have the OPTION to take one full year of a language (101 & 102, 201 & 202 or 301 & 302 etc.) or 3 semesters of American Sign Language to replace TWO of the Perspectives on the Human Condition courses (see core worksheet). You can also use a language to meet humanities requirements for a BA degree (see below).


Do I have to take humanities and social science courses? How do I know which ones they are?
Anyone that is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree has a block of 18 credits of social sciences and humanities to complete (see the core worksheet (PDF 29K) , page 2). Of the 18, 6 credits have to be social sciences, 6 have to be humanities, and 6 can be either one. In the catalog, social sciences have an 's' after the course name and number of credits, humanities have an 'h'. Some examples of humanities are the languages, English, art, music, journalism, linguistics, and theater courses.Some examples of social sciences are Alaska Native studies, anthropology, communication, economics, history, justice, political science, psychology and sociology. Here is a full list of humanities and social sciences (PDF 29K) being offered this semester.


Do I have to take Oral and Writing (O & W) Intensive courses? How do I know which ones they are?
Everyone pursuing a Bachelor's degree has to take 2 Writing Intensive courses and 1 Oral Intensive course (or 2 O/2 courses). Many degrees have O and W courses built in to the degree (degree worksheets), and so you fulfill this requirement while you are meeting your major requirements. If your degree doesn't fall into that category, refer to the list of Oral and Writing Intensive courses (PDF 69K) to find out what you can take to meet the requirement.

Back to Top