Faculty & Staff
Professional Development & Training
Link to the Academic Advisor Training (for faculty/staff/peer advisors)
National Academic Advising Association Information
Updates and Changes
Course Realignment and Placement Changes for Fall 2015
Link to Realignment and Placement Changes
- Mathematics, Developmental Math and Statistics
- MATH/DEVM Course Realignment 4-2015
- Math Bridge Flow Chart
- UAF Mathematics Placement Website: http://uaf.edu/admitted/aleks/
Advisor & Instructor Resources
Student Success Workshops
For both Fall and Spring semesters the Academic Advising Center offers up to different Student Success Workshops that cover a variety of student and university skills useful in aiding student success throughout the term.
We invite you to share this information with your students. Some core instructors have offered extra credit to students who have attend (instructors discretion). The presenters will keep a sign-in roster for all of the workshops and can forward to you a copy of your students in attendance.
If you have questions about the workshops contact our office at (907) 474-6396.
We provide a variety of topics in our Student Success Workshop series that include:
- Time Management
- Note Taking
- Test Taking
- Learning Styles
- Test Anxiety
- Making Use of Texts
We can also provide information on:
- Making the Most of the Academic Advising Relationship
- Selecting Majors
- Developing an Educational Plan
Learning Resource information for students can be found on the the flyer Learning Resources Spring 2015.
The learning resource flyer contains information on labs, tutoring, supplemental instruction as well as online information available at UAF during the spring semester.
Other Advising Tools
Academic Progress & Other Banner Reports
There are several ways to check on your advisee’s academic progress. You can check on each student individually, or you can ask your departmental assistant or dean’s office to run reports from the UAF student information database, BANNER, for all students in your major/program, college/school, or campus.
It’s very important that students keep their personal contact information updated each semester. The how-to video for Updating Address and Phone Number shows students how to update their contact information on UAOnline.
Other Reports concerning Academic Progress
If your departmental administrative assistant or dean’s office is not familiar with the following BANNER Student reports, contact the Academic Advising Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-474-6396 for BANNER Student reports training and examples of phone and email scripts for contacting students.
SAR2NAR Admitted Student Report
SFR2LGR Freshman Progress Report
SFR2NRS Non-Returning Students Report
SGR2MJR Specific Major/Minor at Campus Report
SHR2DCL Dean’s and Chancellor’s List Report
SHR2PRB Probation Academically Disqualified Report
SHR9OMM Commencement Report
- How to print out a BANNER transcript
- How to read a BANNER transcript
- Procedures for contacting students on the Freshman Progress Report
- Using BANNER screen GJIREVO to create a Word or Excel file
- How to access UAOnline Personal Contact Instructions
- A phone and email script for contacting students - used by the Academic Advising Center
- Using Google Talk
- A copy of the Add/Drop Form
- A list of Late Start Classes
- A blank monthly planning calendar
- A comprehensive definition of Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- A copy of the Academic Calendar
Award-winning Faculty Advisors
Fiest-Schamel Outstanding Faculty Award
- The Fiest-Schamel Outstanding Undergraduate Faculty Advisor award recognizes exemplary undergraduate level academic advising by a faculty member at UAF. Each year, undergraduate students are invited to nominate a faculty advisor who exhibits the following criteria:
- Helped advisee develop educational and career plans consistent with degree requirements while incorporating their interests, values abilities and goals
- Increased advisee understanding of and excitement for university and technical/career education
- Provided accurate and insightful information about educational options, the Core curriculum, university requirements, policies and procedures
- Monitored and evaluated advisee academic and career progress
- Appropriately referred advisees to university, campus, and/or community resources to meet their needs and aspirations
- Supported, challenged and empowered advisees to be their best