Faculty & Staff Tools
Mandatory Placement & Placement Tables
UAF’s mandatory course placement policy requires students to have ALEKS, ACT, SAT, ACCUPLACER, or ASSET test scores or have the course prerequisite before registering for English, reading (Developmental Studies), Math/Statistics, Core Natural Sciences, General Education Reqiurements (GERs), and Developmental English and Mathematics courses. Once you have met with your academic advisor and signed your completed registration form, you will be able to schedule these courses IF you have the required placement test scores on file at UAF. You will not be able to schedule these courses on UAOnline if you do not have the required test score or course prerequisite. These requirements are needed in order to be successful in the course.
Students have a much greater probability of successfully completing general education courses (certificate/associate) or (bachelors) when scoring above the required test cut off score. Placement tests assess your current abilities in math, reading, and writing and correlate those abilities to the corresponding math, reading, and writing levels in UAF’s developmental and general edcuation course curriculum.
- Mathematics, Developmental Math and Statistics Placement Table 2016-17
- Mathematics, Developmental Math and Statistics Placement Table 2017-18 (Effective Fall 2017)
- Reading and Writing Placement Table 2016-17
- Reading and Writing Placement Table 2017-18 (Effective Fall 2017)
Other Supporting Materials:
- MATH/DEVM Course Realignment
- Math Bridge Flow Chart
- UAF Mathematics Placement Website
- Accuplacer Retest Guidelines
- ABE Directory Feb 2015
Professional Development & Training
Link to the Academic Advisor Training (for faculty/staff/peer advisors)
National Academic Advising Association Information
- NACADA - National Academic Advising Association
- Academic Advising Standards and Values
- CAS Standards and Guidelines
- The Mentor - An Academic Advising Journal
Advisor & Instructor Resources
Student Success Workshops and Learning Resources
The Academic Advising Center offers different Student Success Workshops that cover a variety of skills useful to a student's personal and academic success.
Please share the workshop information with your students. Some instructors have offered extra credit to students who attend workshops (instructors discretion). For the in-person workshops, the presenter will have students sign-in. If you request a copy we will forward your students' attendance information. The instructors will frequently ask the students to write a summary of what was covered or what they learned at the workshop in order to receive the extra credit.
There are also Learning Labs and other Resources available for student success.
If you have questions please contact our office at (907) 474-6396.
Other Advising Tools
Academic Progress & Other Banner Reports
There are several ways to check on your advisee’s academic progress. You can check on each student individually, or you can ask your departmental assistant or dean’s office to run reports from the UAF student information database, BANNER, for all students in your major/program, college/school, or campus.
A good resource for Banner report information can be found http://bannersi.uaa.alaska.edu/UGIntro.htm. The site lists reports and population selections and describes set by step instructions on how to run the reports.
Other Reports concerning Academic Progress
If your departmental administrative assistant or dean’s office is not familiar with the following BANNER Student reports, contact the Academic Advising Center at email@example.com or 907-474-6396 for BANNER Student reports training and examples of phone and email scripts for contacting students.
Common Banner Reports
SAR2NAR Admitted Student Report
SFR2LGR Freshman Progress Report
SFR2NRS Non-Returning Students Report
SGR2MJR Specific Major/Minor at Campus Report
SHR2DCL Dean’s and Chancellor’s List Report
SHR2PRB Probation Academically Disqualified Report
SHR9OMM Commencement Report
Forms, Links & Other Resources
Academic Advising Listserv request: firstname.lastname@example.org
Award-winning Faculty Advisors
Fiest-Schamel Outstanding Faculty Award
- The Fiest-Schamel Outstanding Undergraduate Faculty Advisor award recognizes exemplary undergraduate level academic advising by a faculty member at UAF. Each year, undergraduate students are invited to nominate a faculty advisor who exhibits the following criteria:
- Helped advisee develop educational and career plans consistent with degree requirements while incorporating their interests, values abilities and goals
- Increased advisee understanding of and excitement for university and technical/career education
- Provided accurate and insightful information about educational options, the Core curriculum, university requirements, policies and procedures
- Monitored and evaluated advisee academic and career progress
- Appropriately referred advisees to university, campus, and/or community resources to meet their needs and aspirations
- Supported, challenged and empowered advisees to be their best