Please review the instructions below before signing into the UAF Math Placement Portal
Before you begin, you must:
- Be an enrolled or admitted undergraduate student at UAF. (If you are a high school student accepted to the AHEAD dual-enrollment program, please contact the Mathematics Department for instructions on how to access the ALEKS exam. If you are currently a high school student interested in taking classes at UAF as a non-degree seeking student, please contact the Office of Admissions and the Registrar for more information on how to access the ALEKS exam and register for classes.)
- Have applied for admission as a degree seeking or non-degree seeking student and claimed your UA ID.
- Have pencil and paper on which to work out the problems.
- Have your UAF student ID number and password. If you don't yet have a password, you will be prompted to create one. (This is the same password you would use to log into Blackboard or Webmail)
- Have 2-3 hours to complete the assessment. It may take longer to place into higher level courses.
- At the beginning of the UAF Math Placement Test, you will go through a brief tutorial about the system and interface. You will be shown how to enter different types of answers, how to use the ALEKS calculator, and how to graph something by hand.
- Do not use a textbook or calculator - the assessment has a built-in calculator which is available on certain questions.
- Enter your answers carefully. Once you submit your response to a question, you cannot return to that question to change the answer.
- Select "I don't know" only if you have no idea how to work a problem. If you select "I don't know" repeatedly, it will lower your score on the assessment.
- Solve all problems on the UAF Math Placement Test without assistance. Do not use any books or online resources, or ask for assistance from any other person. As an admitted student, you are a full member of the University of Alaska academic community and subject to the responsibilities of that community. If you violate University regulations, you are open to disciplinary action by the University.
- If your computer locks up or freezes during the middle of the assessment, refresh the page in your browser. If that does not work, close your browser and log back in. The work you have already submitted will be saved and the assessment will pick up at the point you left off.
- Once you begin the placement test you must complete it within 72 hours or you will have to start over.
- If you have trouble getting past the UA Login or you have trouble getting the placement test to load on your computer, the UAF Office of Information Technology has a webpage to help: http://www.alaska.edu/oit/new-to-ua/aleks-login-support/
Please note that ALEKS is used for math placement at UAF only, and is not currently used for placement at UAA or UAS.
Vow of Academic Integrity
- I understand that I am to take this placement assessment without the assistance of any persons, textbooks, online materials, or any other assistance. I understand that use of a calculator is prohibited unless it is specifically provided onscreen by the assessment program.
- I understand that any violations to the above are considered cheating and a violation of the UAF Student Code of Conduct and can result in serious consequences. In any mathematics class I take, my instructor reserves the right to administer a proctored exam during the first week of the semester. If my performance on this exam is not consistent with my UAF Math Placement score, I may be required to register for a lower course or complete prerequisite work prior to continuing.
- I vow that I am the individual whose name and UAF ID will be submitted during the logon.
- UAF Student Code of Conduct