Succeed in college
UAF is a great place to explore and learn. We have many programs in place to help you succeed and flourish during your time here. Whether you need a math tutor, help learning how to conquer tests or deciding which class is right for you, we've got you covered!
Resources at UAF
At UAF we want to see you succeed. We have people who are ready to help you in every aspect, from academic classes to personal enrichment.
Disability Services provides services to students with documented disabilities. Its goal is to ensure equal access to educational opportunities at UAF. Academic accommodations are free of charge and available to any student who qualifies as an individual with a disability and is enrolled in at least one credit hour.
Invest in yourself workshops
The Academic Advising Center offers workshops on various topics such as time and stress management, note- and test-taking, math anxiety and creating a four-year plan.
The math lab is staffed with math and statistics faculty to assist you in your math studies.
The Writing Center is a student-staffed, student-oriented service of the English department. Our tutors--English department teaching assistants and a few outstanding undergraduate students--can assist you in all phases of the writing process.
Rural Student Services
Rural Student Services is an academic advising department with more than 35 years of experience in working with students from all over Alaska. Join them for support in transitioning to a new city and sharing where you're from.
Student Support Services
The Student Support Services program provides personalized and comprehensive academic support to eligible students. It offers an inviting, resourceful atmosphere and opportunities for academic development and success. It serves to encourage students to stay in school and complete their degree program.
The Office of Information Technology provides and maintains central computing resources for UAF students, faculty and staff. Open computing labs with both Windows and Macintosh operating systems are available for all UAF students in the MBS Complex, the Bunnell Building and the 23-hour study area in the Rasmuson Library.
General tips for success
- Show up! Going to class is an integral part of your education. At UAF learning takes place through vibrant interaction between professors and students. You'll learn more if you attend class.
- Get involved with Student Activities. More involvement = more fun! The more groups and events you participate in, the more friends you will make and the more fun your entire college experience will be! Whether it's an intramural sports team (more than 20), a language club (five!) or student government, you are bound to have a more enriching experience by trying many things.
- Stay healthy. Anima sana en corpore sano--A sound mind in a sound body. Your brain can't work if your body is dragging. A healthy diet and exercise are keys to maintaining an environment where your mind can flourish. Be certain to get regular exercise and drink plenty of water.
Success in class
- Be on time.
- Sit toward the front.
- Take notes.
- Turn your cell phone off.
Success in note taking
- Date every new lecture at the top of the page.
- Review your notes within a few hours of class.
- Take a note-taking workshop to learn shorthand.
Success in time management
- Lay out major assignments, tests, quizzes and doctor's appointments in a calendar at the beginning of the semester. Review your calendar regularly.
- Create a weekly schedule that allows for a few hours of homework a day. After all, you are at college to learn!
- Set aside a certain amount of time to visit or talk on the phone each evening. When that time is up, get off the phone.