READMISSION OF SERVICEMEMBERS
The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 requires that students who left school to serve in the uniformed services be readmitted into the same program with the same standing they had when they left. UAF allows for special readmission of these students, with the following provisions:
- Your lapse in attendance was due to active duty in the uniformed services — including the National Guard or Reserve — for more than 30 days.
- You supply documentation that your absence was due to service in the uniformed services. (Examples of such documentation include a copy of your orders, a DD214, or a signed and dated statement from your commanding officer.)
- The cumulative length of all absences from your UA program for service in the uniformed services does not exceed five years.
- You will be admitted to the same academic program, with the same academic standing, that you were in at the time your absence began.
- Your ability to be readmitted under the terms of the HEOA terminates upon any of the following events:
- Being separated from the Armed Forces with a dishonorable discharge.
- Being dismissed as permitted under section 1161(a) of title 10, United States Code.
- Being dropped from the rolls pursuant to section 1161(b) of title 10, United States Code.
If you do not meet the above criteria, you must apply for readmission by submitting the standard application and processing fee. If you wish to enter a program other than the one that you were in when last in attendance, you are also required to apply for admission to that program and are subject to any admission and catalog requirements that apply.