Mission: Develop and disseminate practical, cost-effective, and innovative energy solutions for Alaska and beyond.
Vision: Alaska leading the way in innovative production, distribution, and management of energy.
The Alaska Center for Energy and Power (ACEP) is a statewide, university-led, applied research program based at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. ACEP excels at being responsive to immediate and long term needs of residents, industries and agencies and focuses on research related to community and industry-scale power generation, transmission, heating, and transportation fuels. ACEP prioritizes its work on areas where Alaska has specific needs or where Alaska has a strategic advantage due to resource availability, unique circumstances, or location.
ACEP Produces Three Primary Products:
· Information – ACEP provides decision makers with objective and reliable information.
· Technology – ACEP works with industry to develop and test practical and innovative energy technologies.
· Prepared, Professional Workforce – ACEP prioritizes building a workforce capable of addressing current and future energy needs.
Research Goal – To move energy solutions from the laboratory to the market.
· Discover – Build and manage a robust program to analyze the performance of existing systems as a necessary first step to designing the systems of the future.
· Develop – Design, model, and test energy technologies and strategies leading to affordable and reliable power for Alaskans and other analogous regions in the world.
· Remove barriers – Identify, predict, and work toward removing roadblocks limiting adoption and deployment of viable emerging technologies.
Outreach Goal – Provide stakeholders with information and independent expertise needed to make informed decisions.
· Disseminate – Maximize opportunities to share ACEP and other energy-related research findings.
· Advise – Serve as strategic and technical advisors.
· Connect – Engage organizations, communities, schools and residents by providing relevant energy information that is relevant in their lives.
Academic Goal – Leverage UA academic resources to meet the energy workforce needs of Alaska and other relevant global energy markets.
· Involve – Train, educate and mentor students through real world, compelling project opportunities.
· Teach – Work with academic departments to develop and deliver an interdisciplinary energy-related curricula to provide college level, advanced learning opportunities.
· Train – Support vehicles for our workforce to gain tangible, technical skills in technologies where Alaska can serve a leadership role.
Pragmatism – We seek solutions that make both technical and economic sense for Alaska.
Integrity – The integrity of our research is our most critical asset.
Teamwork – To fully understand and address the issues and challenges, we need to work as a team with people from diverse backgrounds and with a wide range of expertise.
Agility – By tapping the wide range of existing expertise among our partners both inside and outside the University, we can quickly assemble skilled research teams in a wide array of subjects.
Professionalism - ACEP’s client-driven culture demands efficient project management, performance metrics and a corresponding tracking and reporting system, and rapid dissemination of results.
An eye to the future – Through relevant research, outreach and workforce development, we are building the future of energy in Alaska.
As an organization and as individual employees we are:
Prioritizing Alaska. ACEP will seek funding to conduct research that is relevant for Alaska.
Responsive. ACEP will be responsive to the questions and needs of Alaska’s residents, energy decision makers, and leaders across the state.
Collaborative. ACEP will pursue synergistic relationships with key partners both within and outside the University of Alaska. Alaska’s complex energy solutions require collaboration
Focused on Quality. ACEP will strive for excellence in our research products and in our people.
Competitive. ACEP will strive toward becoming a nationally and internationally respected research program capable of developing competitive proposals and attracting high quality researchers to the organization.
Seeking Diverse Funding. ACEP will seek funding through grants and contracts originating from a wide range of private, state and federal sources to ensure ACEP is not financially dependent on a narrow funding base.
Cost Effective. ACEP is an effective steward of research dollars, maximizing client value.